Saturday, September 11, 2010

Gramma's Closet



I have decided to write about my Sketchbook project. I am hoping that the task of keeping up with my progress will give me energy and creativity abound... this project is so different and challenging than anything I have done before. There is no boundry to the scope of this project. And, what's more, it is something I am challenging myself to do. I am my own critic.


I am so used to things being black & white, right or wrong, recognized as clinical recommendations approved by scientific study. For me, the creative process feels like I am solving a problem that isn't even a problem. It is a new way of thinking for me... and it is so invigorating.


Filling up the sketchbook, for me, is a way to tell a story. It is my first real attempt to bring emotion and thinking to a piece of art. I must take Jackets, Blankets, and Sheets and let it mean something. Grandma's Closet represents many things for me. It will be a great way to play with texture and pattern. But most importantly, it will be a story of comfort, history, love, design, and family.


This picture is the beginning of the cover (not finished yet...) I have made a stamp using lino and block stamped using white to represent painted paneling. Fresh modern take on a vintage idea. I have glued pages together inside to make them thicker and give them more of a wrinkled, worn look. I can't wait to pull some of my fabric and paper designs for the "interior" of the closet.


I have many ideas... but the challenge is going for it. I don't want to make any mistakes. I just need to try things out and roll with the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment