Monday, May 23, 2011

Damask 1


Welcome to my last week of Pattern Everyday! I am so excited to do the patterns this week because I have always wanted to learn how to do a damask pattern and I've never had the guts to try them. They can be very complicated and the pattern seems really difficult to pull off. I have started the week using some damask motif templates to practice getting the shapes right. I used the pen tool to trace some motifs in Ai, and then I arranged these 3 separate motifs into the pattern. I feel the pattern worked pretty well, although figuring out the math of the repeat was difficult, so I really did it by feel instead of math (so you can see some slight discrepancies in space and line.) I'm off to a good start and can only improve from here! This pattern took 60 minutes.

1 comment: