Monday, May 16, 2011

Patterned Ground 1: Scattered Leaves




I am really happy with this pattern! I used the twig pattern from my monotone week to create a pretty, light patterned ground. I added the leaf motif on the top and used a block repeat, rotating every other leaf to give it some movement. I accomplished this in Ai in about 30 minutes.
And of course, I couldn't stop there. I began to build off of this pattern and create a few more images.
In the second pattern, the background is the block repeated leaf motif and then I used a more random, scattered pattern of the same leaf using the brown instead of green. These types of patterns take a bit of time for me because there is a lot of trial and error to the placement of these images. And then once I am satisfied, I usually have to add another image to make it more natural. And then once I am satisfied again, I then have to move and copy all the images off the edge of the art board to make a successful repeat.
The third pattern is just the scattered leaf pattern in a repeat without the background... to make sure it worked. I could have added another ground in this one, but I chose to show you the success of my repeat (and to prove to myself I could do it!)
I would like to see this on some hand towels. Can anyone print my design on hand towels? Maybe I need to do some more screen printing.

No comments:

Post a Comment